Friday, February 19, 2010

Processing Game

I finally made some headway in producing a game concept I have been thinking about for a while. Its my modified version of a game mechanic that has been around for a while. I saw an implementation of the same mechanic in a mini game in Time Splitters 2 that I liked. I reproduced the vector feel of the mini game and changed the flat landscape from that one into a circular one, a planet. I've tried to code something like this many times without a lot of success.

I stumbled across Kokoromi's call for submissions for consideration in GAMMAIV shortly after starting again on my coding. The deadline, which was less than a week away, gave me enough motivation to finish.

It also caused me to produce some pretty messy code, though I am satisfied with what I accomplished in that short time. I used this method to rotate my points and simple multiplication for the zoom as opposed to the built in Processing transforms which tend to confuse me. A lot of sin and cos were used for gravity, thrust, etcetera including this little gem I found somewhere -- sin(pangle-angle2) -- to compare angles without wrapping problems. This code on Processing Hacks handles collisions.

It was suggested that the games be kept secret until they were exhibited or until we got word they were not selected. Check out the other non-selected games currently being collected in this forum post.

No comments:

Post a Comment